Getting ready for your maternity photo session should be a fun, family process— you’re preparing for your little one’s first professional shoot! Plan on scheduling your session between 31 and 36 weeks to ensure you’ve “popped” and your beautiful shape has completely taken form—and by that point you’ll be a pregnancy pro and dodge any discomforts and bloating that comes with the earlier weeks. Another great way to elevate your session is to include your partner, big brother, big sister and even a family pet or two. While many of the shots will be just you and baby-to-be, it’s always fun to change it up and capture everyone’s excitement about this very special time—and very special new arrival! What’s more, these beautiful images will be permanent memories of a time when you were just “we” or “the three of us.”
Think about the style of maternity photos that you would like. Do you want them in studio or outdoors? Do you want semi nude maternity photos wearing a lovely maternity gown supplied by Nicole VonDette Photography or do you want to remain covered? These are important questions that will help guide your session. If you are struggling to articulate the style you are drawn to, please don’t hesitate to send me any “inspiration images” that will help me understand the look/feel of your session.
- Moisturize your knees, elbows and belly 1-2 hours before your session to avoid added shine or sticky clothes—and take off any tighter-fitting watches or bracelets then, too, so they don’t leave marks on your skin.
- Make sure to get a neutral, light-colored manicure 1-2 days prior. You’ll be able to get those beautiful hands-on-belly shots!
- If you have a few cute baby items—shoes, onesies, hats, blankets, toys—bring them. They’re great props and add a special piece of “baby” before he/she arrives! Same goes for family heirlooms: if you have a special locket, picture or anything else that’s special to your family, bring it along. Ultrasound photos are becoming popular add-ins to shoots. If you’re on the fence, bring it and decide later.
- Dress comfortably, but be sure your clothes don’t detract from your tummy’s shape and natural glow. Avoid large patterns, bold floral and thick stripes as well as clothes that are too loose. Empire waists, drawstrings, flowy tops and wrap dresses are great choices to enhance your shape.
- If you are interested in belly photos or would like to wear a maternity gown/fabric, please wear nude undergarments.
- Plan on wearing clothes that fit the location. Light airy colors work great for beach/field shoots. Darker colors can work great for urban locations.
Nicole VonDette Photography has some beautiful maternity gowns available for your session. These gowns are more revealing than traditional clothes, however all private parts are covered with fabric or undergarments. If you are interested in artistically capturing your belly and pregnancy, then these may be a wonderful addition to your session. Please let me know prior to your session if this is something that may interest you and we can discuss your options further.